Monday, January 27, 2014

Hola! from the frozen tundra

I realize that writing about the weather is blawg suicide.  Got it.  But please indulge me for one tiny moment.  It is -15 degrees outside right now.  Weather.com tells me is -39 with the wind chill.  Schools are closed due to cold, again.  We're all supposed to stay inside.  OK, no big thang; I am totally fine with a day of hibernation.  Pj's, french toast, playing with the Beansie, laundry, Netflix.  Thankful for gas fireplaces.  Done.  

Here is the thing though - this is like the 5th hibernation day of the year for us.  And I ain't no bear.  We need to GIT OUT DA HOUSE.  And go somewhere other than Costco.  We did make it to the *winter* farmer's market this weekend and the frosty wind just about blew the baby out of her car seat.  So there's that.

And to be honest, being holed up in the house due to this weather does not exactly bring out the best in me.  I should be Pinteresting or crafting or brushing my teeth or something, but if given the excuse to be lazy I take it pretty seriously.  I did Google "montessori activities for 1 year olds" to shake things up a bit.  Their first recommendation?  An outdoor environment.  Awesome.  I think she's still thawing out from the farmer's market so imma say no.

But I did stumble upon something awesome during my extensive indoor internet research time, and maybe you/whole world already knows about this so forgive me if I am way behind the curve.  Very possible.  But I just downloaded Duolingo, AND -->  mind blown.  The premise is that you can learn a new language as easily as you can play a game on your phone (this article on Slate goes into some really interesting details about how they keep it free).  And so far I am HOOKED.  I can't wait to impress my Spanish-speaking esposo when I tell him that I'm going to como this manzana.  He'll be so proud.  

Apparently another cardinal sin of bloggery is to not post any pictures.  I was thisclose, but I'll humor you with some of our spoon-wielding, iPhone-eating, glass-banging indoor adventures.  Crisis averted. 













2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the pictures. And the humor. You are thawing my frozen heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looked up doulingo, so fun! Love the pics, I can't believe how she is walking! Such a cutie, stay warm. XO

    ReplyDelete