Thursday, November 21, 2013

Baptism and Carnitas. And Costco cake. Amen.

Our little snowflake got baptized!  It was a blessed, wonderful day.  Family, a few friends, and a small little service at our church.


Smiling at the camera?  The Spirit was with her

Since we were hosting family and anticipating feeding about 20 people after the service, I contemplated catering for about one single second before I thought, hold the phone, I can do it myself.  Upside:  Saving money!  Downside:  Doing it myself.


But no matter, Epicurious.com never lets me down.  And since I'm more of a novice cook I've found that life in the kitchen is easier if I stick to the following rules:

1) Choose dishes that can be made the night before 
2) Enlist the help of others 
3) Crock.  Pot.


The super-tasty, fuss-free menu:
Carnitas tacos with cilantro, cheese, red onion, and avocado
Costco Cake (duh.)


It was my first time cooking with jicama, and I'll definitely make it again.  Tastes like a cross between a water chestnut and an apple.  And I didn't have to go to a fancy grocery store to find it.  Who knew?  (Probably you.)

I would have taken a picture of the spread but I was probably too busy salivating over the Costco cake.  I mean, for $17 that delicious mousse-filled confection feeds 48 people (it says.  pay no mind to how big we cut our slices around here).  Last year when I was 9 months pregnant my dear sweet husband bought me an ENTIRE cake for my birthday.  Let's just say that the excitement about put me into labor right there.  My love for cake runs deep, and I'm obsessed with Costco, so the two together... it's just... I almost can't.  I cut off a tiny chunk to share at work and froze the rest but I was still eating a piece of cake every day until the baby was abouuuut 3 months old.  And even though I'm still huffing and puffing through the 30 Day Shred to work off the damage caused by that cake --> worth it.

(Almost as exciting as Costco cake?  The delivery of my first Stitch Fix box.  Have you heard of Stitch Fix??  Let's get fancy together.  Coming in December.)



No comments:

Post a Comment