Monday, December 23, 2013

Stitch Fix #1

Many exciting things happened this month (mainly, the return of the Sing-Off) but there was one thing I was particularly looking forward to:  the arrival of my first Stitch Fix box.  I first heard about Stitch Fix on Facebook and I decided to treat myself to a box for my birthday.  What is Stitch Fix?  Let's let the people speak for themselves: 

"Stitch Fix is a personal styling service. You tell us your style, size, and budget preferences, and we send you a package of stylish goodies to try on at home. Each Fix is unique and hand-picked just for you."

It costs $20 for them to put together a box, but they credit that toward anything you buy.  The style/sizing profile they have you fill out is quite extensive, and they show you a bunch of different styles so you can choose which ones suit you best, and which styles you'd like to incorporate more of into your wardrobe.  For me, that means less Gap clearance and more... well, anything else.  (I found it funny that they ask if you're a mom.  Cue the 'wah wahhhh...'  I almost wanted to pull an Amy Poehler from Mean Girls - "I'm not like a regular mom, I'm a cool mom!") 


Props to my dear friend Sara for coming over to document the occasion and being excited about Stitch Fix with me.  And mostly for putting up with my awkward poses...

Let's get down to it.




1) Three Dots cowl neck knit shirt, $58




This was the first top I tried on, and overall I really liked it.  The fit was good, the color was good, and it was versatile enough to go with a lot of things.  But note the price -> ouch.  Couldn't justify spending this much on such a basic top.  Verdict:  PASS.

2) Tart henley thermal, $78


This shirt was just okay.  I'm trying to step up my game here, and it reminded me of something I might have worn in high school.  It fit well and I liked that the thread had a little sparkle.  But mostly it was just meh.  With a high price tag.  Verdict:  PASS

3.  Bat Wings





I really wanted to like you, Bat Wings.  You were so soft.  And I looove me a grey cardigan.  But my husband could not get over the sleeves on this one.  So back you went.  Verdict:  PASS.  (I think the real name for this one was Natural Life Mariposa cardigan, and it was $48)

4. Liverpool straight leg jean, $78


I had requested a pair of jeans, and this pair was amazing.  Super soft, well-fitting, and versatile.  But I already have a pair of black skinnies, so I couldn't justify buying a new one.  Verdict:  really wanted to keep but sadly had to PASS.

5. 41 Hawthorn infinity scarf, $38




This is the face of a scarf addict who has just fallen in love.  You can't tell from these photos but there is glittery thread woven through so it's "perfect for the holiday season!"  Oh Stitch Fix.  You know my heart already.  Verdict:  KEEPER.

So all in all, I loved three of the pieces and ended up keeping one.  Here's what I liked about Stitch Fix:

-The fit was great.  They really pay close attention to what you put on your sizing profile (i.e. your body shape, what size you usually wear, how you like your clothes to fit). This takes a lot of the guesswork and time out of trying clothes on in a store
-The quality was good.  Everything was comfortable and well-made
-If you live in a clothing desert like I do, this is a great way to find new pieces without having to drive an hour to go shopping
-It's fun to see what they put in the box for you!  And they give you a styling guide with pictures of each item with a few different ways to wear it

What I didn't like so much:
-I think they played it kind of safe.  Granted, I did say I was a jeans-and-T-shirt kind of girl, but I was hoping to add some more interesting pieces to the mix.  I made a note of this for the stylist so I'm hoping they'll change that for next time
-The prices were a little high.  Ain't no clearance items in this box.  If I found something I was crazy about I would be willing to pay more, but there wasn't anything that really blew my mind.  Maybe next time!

My next fix is coming in February (wait times are longer than usual, according to the website) and since I received a referral credit my next box will be free.  I asked for a few nicer date night/girls' night pieces, so we'll see what they send.  All in all I would recommend this!  It's also fun to look at other peoples' blogs and see what kinds of things they get - I'd love to peek at yours if you sign up!

1 comment: