Friday, July 19, 2013

Homemade Pita Chips

I always seem to have baggies of leftover pita bread at the bottom of my fridge.  I get Trader Joe's pack of 8 Whole Wheat pitas, which are nice and soft and perfect for egg salad, but then they get a little hard after a few days and I tend to ignore them.   Now, the chickens will practically stab each other's eyes for a nibble of some leftover pita, but it feels a little wasteful so I turned to the interwebs to see what I could morph them into.  The answer?  Pita chips (...mind-blowing, I know.  Stick with me).  The thing with making homemade pita chips is that they are SO STINKING EASY and more delicious than bagged pita chips.  Every time I make these I slap my forehead and think, oh my gosh these are so good and why do I not make these all the time??  




Homemade Pita Chips

2-4 pitas, cut into wedges
olive oil
Trader Joe's Garlic Salt*

*Unlike the usual powdered garlic salt, this is a grinder of sea salt, garlic, onion, and parsley.  Saves you from having to season with salt and garlic separately, and is delicious on, oh I don't know, everything.

Preheat oven to 375.  Cut pitas into wedges (about 8 pieces per pita), brush with olive oil, sprinkle with garlic salt, and bake on baking sheet or pizza stone for 13-15 minutes.  


While they are delicious alone, these are perfect for dips and in soups.  They also tend to fill you up and spruce up whatever you've thrown together for dinner.  Like, 'we were going to just have broccoli soup for dinner, which is a side dish.  But now that I've added these homemade pita chips, it's a Meal.'  Bam.



No comments:

Post a Comment