Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Kale Chips (yeah, I went there.)

I picked up a Rachael Ray magazine the other day and noticed an article comparing homemade vs. store-bought kale chips...  And my first thought was, are people really eating kale chips?  And why.  I just imagine someone sitting alone at their dining room table, a big ol' bowl of crusty kale chips in front of them, crying silent tears that their life has come to this.  I'm all for healthy eating, but it just doesn't seem like a thing people should be forcing themselves to eat, you know?

So naturally, when I saw kale for 98 cents at Wal-Mart (gah, I know.  I was there with my mom OK, and we've practically recovered from our pesticide poisoning) I had to try it.  I used an impossibly simple recipe which I will kindly type out for you now:




Kale Chips

1 bunch kale
1 tablespoon olive oil
sea salt

Rinse and dry kale (unless it's the pre-washed bagged kind).  Tear leaves (not ribs) into 1-2 inch pieces in a bowl with olive oil until coated.  Spread onto a baking sheet and sprinkle with sea salt.  Bake at 325 degrees for 10-15 minutes until crispy, making sure not to brown or burn the chips.

The initial rave reviews:

Sister:  "It reminds me of eating leaves.  I kind of don't understand it."

Dad:  "I'm not hungry."

(upon further prodding) 

Mom:  "Mmm.  Very light and airy!"

Dad:  "Like a gourmet potato chip."

Here is the thing:  We could.  not.  stop.  eating.  them.  I'm not even a potato chip person, and I found these to be strangely addicting. Call me a believer!  You just have to ignore the haters (namely: former me) try them yourself.  

1 comment: